Saturday, March 14, 2009

Part One Installing JBOSS

Well the very first thing I did was read through the docs on LCDS on Adobe's website. That convinced me that I needed a JBOSS server if this was going to work. Now later I found that's not entirely true, but I'm not sad that I did it since eventually I want this application to be able to server thousands of people. The next thing I did was to install JBOSS on my UBUNTU server, but that's another story. Before we start you should realize I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I can't remember when the last time I wrote JAVA was. Heck I didn't even know what JBOSS was two days ago, and I only vaguely remembered the idea of what a JAVA applications server was. Why let that stop us though? The first step is to go out and get JBOSS for your mac. At the time I'm writing this you can find it here http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/. It's pretty easy, you just download it, let stuffit automatically decompress it and you've got JBOSS. In fact I'm so lazy I'm still running it out of my Download folder. So this is great now you have jboss but how the heck do you run it? Well in your new jboss directory (mines jboss-4.2.2.GA) there are a lot of directories. The one you're looking for is the "bin" directory. Inside the bin directory are several scripts, and if you just run the run.sh file, your new jboss server will begin to start up. Just do a "./run.sh". You should now see a bunch of console output from the server and at the very end it will say something like: "19:12:57,095 INFO [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.2.2.GA (build: SVNTag=JBoss_4_2_2_GA date=200710221139)] Started in 21s:313ms" That means you're good to go. Now open up your favorite browser and go to http://localhost:8080 and you should see the JBoss welcome page.

No comments:

Post a Comment